Public Information Officer
|Career Name:||Public Information Officer||Date Posted:||Thursday, April 23, 2020|
|Salary Opportunity:||TBD||Status:||Full Time|
|Category:||Administrative||Experience Required:||A minimum of three year's experience in a related field may be substituted for the educational experience|
|Education Required:||A Bachelor's Degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field is preferred.||Career Level:||The position is highly sensitive and requires experience as a Public Information Officer and/or frontline media position.|
Career Opportunity Full Description
PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER
Coast RTA is seeking an individual to fill the position of Public Information Officer (PIO) within our organization. The responsibility of the PIO is to maintain all communication – oral and written – to foster a positive public image for the Authority and to disseminate vital information to the public, our constituent local governments and the media about our services, current conditions and emergencies. The PIO will manage all of our communication with media, maintain the Coast RTA’s website/social media and coordinate Coast RTA public events. Extensive knowledge of Coast RTA history is desirable. The position is highly sensitive and requires experience as a Public Information Officer and/or frontline media position. This position reports directly to the General Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under supervision of the General Manager, the Public Information Officer (PIO) will keep the public informed of Coast RTA activities. In order to do so, the PIO may be required to:
- Serve as an advisor to those making public appearances;
- Write press releases;
- Respond to media inquiries;
- Maintain an archive of press material relating to Coast RTA;
- Answer phone calls from media or public;
- Support customer service when necessary;
- Develop marketing strategies;
- Maintain our website and social media accounts;
- Make public appearances on behalf of Coast RTA, including for press conferences;
- Escort media personnel within the facility to conduct interviews or take photographs.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS REQUIRED:
The successful candidate will have:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking and familiarity with Associated Press style, as well as strong grammar, spelling, and punctuation skills (This is a priority for filling this position);
- Must be able to step in and handle interviews from all media, if necessary;
- Dependable and highly organized with business maturity, discretion, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude;
- Technologically literate with strong computer skills including website maintenance and graphics capability;
- Skillful in using social media, and other communication media;
- Cheerful presence and people skills, with an emphasis on professionalism;
- Self-starter who can work independently but can also follow direction;
- Outgoing, with the ability to work under stress and consistently meet deadlines; and
- Skill in establishing priorities and managing workload.
Photography and videography skills a plus and being bilingual is desirable.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field is preferred.
A minimum of three years’ experience in a related field may be substituted for the educational experience.
The role of a Public Information Officer may sometimes require the following, but is not limited to:
- Some physical labor – bending, kneeling, or standing for a variety of time periods; lifting boxes, files, or other office items;
- Outdoor activities, which may be conducted in inclement weather;
- Travel may be required; and
- Non-traditional work hours may be required in order to accommodate special Coast RTA events.
Apply online at www.CoastRTA.com or in person at the Coast RTA Administrative Office
Position will remain open until filled.
Coast RTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Career Opportunity Application Instructions
You may apply for this position by completing one of the following methods:
Filling out our Online Career Application, which will allow you to attach your resume. Our Online Career Application is definitely the easiest option for submitting your career opportunity request. It is fully secure and will send an email to Coast RTA as well as a confirmation email to you.
Downloading the career application and mailing it completed with your resume to:
ATTN: Human Resources, 1418 3rd Avenue, Conway, SC 29526 or faxing it to: 843-488-0874
Or you may apply in person at 1418 3rd Avenue, Conway, SC 29526 between the hours of 8am – 5pm, Monday – Friday. See us on a map.