Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010
Coast RTA, the mass transportation system for Horry County, performs many services for local citizens such as rides to school and work, transportation to medical appointments and a means to get around for those who can’t afford private transportation. You may not use Coast RTA yourself, but you probably have neighbors who do.
On November 2, 2010, Horry County residents will vote on the following referendum:
“Do you favor the funding by Horry County, in an amount not to exceed 6/10th of a million ($1,080,00.00) annually, for the operations of a regional public mass transportation provider such as Coast RTA?”
Read below for some answers to 10 Frequently Asked Questions about the Mass Public Transportation Referendum.
What is public transportation?
- Public transportation is a service for seniors, students, medical patients, workers, tourists and others who do not have private transportation.
- Like police, fire, EMS and road construction, it is a public service for those who need it, when they need it.
Who uses mass public transportation?
- A diverse grouping of riders including Seniors 65 or older, 7%
- 18 years & younger, 10%
- Women, 52%
- Caucasians, 45%
- African-Americans, 31%
- Hispanics, 18%
- All others, 6%
How Does the Cost to Ride Mass Transit Compare to the Cost for a Cab?
- In Horry County, a cab ride starts at $1.50, and $2.80 per mile thereafter. Coast RTA fixed routes are $1.50 per ride.
How Would Investing in Transit Benefit Me Personally?
- Each bus removes 40 cars from our roads further reducing congestion and making the roads safer for everyone.
- Less traffic congestion improves the quality of life. Public transportation benefits the environment and causes less dependency on foreign oil.
Wouldn’t it be Cheaper to Build or Widen More Roads?
- Studies have shown that new roadways quickly fill to capacity which does not relieve congestion.
- It could cost up to ten million dollars ($10,000,000) per mile to build a roadway.
Why Aren’t The Buses Full All of the Time?
- The purpose of mass public transportation is to provide service to those who need it, when they need it.
- Like police, fire and school buses, Coast RTA’s system is designed to meet the needs of the community.
How Will Funding Coast RTA Help Support Tourism in Horry County?
- Coast RTA provides transportation options for residents that work in the tourist industry.
- Coast RTA provides options for tourist to park their cars and relieve congestion.
If the Referendum Doesn’t Pass, What Will Happen?
- Jobs will be lost
- People will lose accessibility to work, recreation, education, shopping and medical appointments
- Tourism and the local economy will be adversely affected
How Much Would it Cost the Average Household in Horry County?
- $0 – $2.40 per year for the owner of a $100,000 home
How Can I Support Mass Public Transportation in Horry County?
- As a concerned citizen, you may: Contact you local, state and federal officials to ask for their support,
- Write letters to City and County Council,
- Write letters to the Editor,
- Host informative meetings, and
- Encourage people to go to the polls on November 2 to vote.
Most Importantly…”Try Transit!”
For more information contact:
Yvette Jefferson, Coordinator
843-488-0865 ext. 221